Sunday, April 09, 2006

Support Our National Parks



I have recently (within the past couple of years) discovered a true love for nature and the outdoors. Sadly, I had fallen into the trap of the past decade...You know the one, that true entertainment is found at home in front of the TV. Now, I do still enjoy a handful of TV shows, but I would much rather be outside looking at the natural wonders of our nation. I have had the fortune of having a job that has allowed me to travel and see some amazing places, all of them right here in the USA.
This weekend I have visited two of our National Parks in California:
Lava Beds NM in Tulelake, CA and Yosemite NP. I had visited Lava Beds NP last fall, but had gotten there when snow blanketed the ground. This time the snow was melted, so I got the see the lava flow much better, not to mention Petroglyph Point, which has over 5000 symbols carved into its side, making it one of the largest rock art concentrations in North America. It was an island throughout much of the history of Tule Lake. The artists would travel by canoe to the island and make their marks along the rock. It was truly amazing to stand at the bottom and look up the side and see the size of the rock and the markings carved into it.
No words or pictures can do justice to Yosemite. I took several pictures today, but the only way to truly experience it is to see it for yourself. Driving into the park I thought I was just seeing beautiful mountains covered in pine trees, but the best was yet to come! Yosemite Valley has the tallest standing granite formation in the US (El Capitan) and some of the most amazing waterfalls you will see. Not to mention it was littered with deer and even a coyote (which stopped traffic) crossing back and forth on the valley floor. If you ever make a trip to California, this is a must see. Some photos from both of my trips are on my Flickr page.
There are 388 sites that are a part of our National Parks System. It is our duty to preserve their history and beauty for our enjoyment and for future generations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home